Nippy Noya - Forty Years In One Go

Guestblogger Richard says: A second compilation CD dedicated to percussionist Nippy Noya
Whereas on the first CD I focused extensively on the 1970s, I will now summarize forty years in one go.
Starting in the 1980s, Nippy Noya’s musical palette became more diverse. It included jazz, salsa, samba, folk music, cabaret, pop, rock, and even a band with heavy metal roots like Helloween.

This time, we hear the different facets of modern jazz with Artists Against Agony, Benjamin Herman, the KaMa Quartet, Smietana & Paleta, and U3 Klang, as well as a variety of styles, including Christina Lux in a trio with bassist Marius Goldhammer. With 2 Chord Genius, we’ll also hear Hans Dulfer. And Godzilla sneaks in through the back door to celebrate his birthday. Solid Turkish sounds from MFÖ and a Top 40 band, the Dolly Dots.
Daniel Sahuleka reappears earning a spot here with his beautiful “Imagine.” Other standout tracks include “Carnival” by Wally Shorts and “Happy Mango Song” by Batida, which features a wordless vocal part in a lively song.
In 1981, Nippy Noya collaborated with drummer Martin van Duynhoven, as well as brothers Zamir Ahmed and Inayat Hussain Khan on tabla and other Indian percussion instruments in the East-West Percussion Group.
I’d also like to mention the collaboration in Aruba on December 12, 1979. Guitarist Harry Sacksioni is one of the very best guitarists you’ve never heard of.  Partly because he’s so uniquely talented, he’s never had to wait for work, nor has he ever felt the need to spread his wings worldwide.
Perhaps this collection comes across as somewhat fragmented, but that is simply a compliment to the versatility of master percussionist Nippy Noya.
80 years of age—and once again, congratulations!


Comments

  1. Link: https://pixeldrain.com/u/D8yXQcRd
    Richard's question: I only used two Polish tracks, but Nippy Noya played a lot with Polish musicians. Can you name any off the top of your head? Apart from the Dutch based Kazimir Lux I couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough question! The only Polish artist that comes to (my) mind: Tomasz Stańko - jazz trumpeter

      Delete
  2. Tough question indeed. Suddenly I remembered a few 7''s in my collection. They are not in my top drawer, so this is from memory. I had to check discogs for the spelling
    TZN-Xenna - Dzieci Z Brudnej Ulicy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyGNrjttf6M&t=24s
    Śmierć Kliniczna, I don't yet know exactly which and another one. I recomment when I find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found these. Tonpress (a communist state run label) released quite a bunch of wave/punk/ska etc the above mentioned are straight punk, TZN-Xenna and Śmierć Kliniczna - ASP / Jestem Ziarnkiem Piasku. The third oneI have is Varieté
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7j_wG0TFjo
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVI6UX3yBE0

      Delete
    2. Slowly, but surely, we'll find more!

      Delete

Post a Comment